The Story of Our Mining Tire Group
Every day, Kal Tire teams around the world go to work to achieve two things:
Share our expertise and help customers achieve their goals. Our commitment to working with customers to solve their problems is just as true today as it was when our founder, Tom Foord, formed Kal Tire’s Mining Tire Group in British Columbia, Canada, in the early 1970’s.
Over the years—and as we’ve grown to a team of more than 2,700 serving more than 150 mine sites across five continents—we’ve adapted to help solve our customers’ evolving challenges and continue providing measurable value. As mines continue to push for productivity with the necessity for greater safety and sustainability, Kal Tire has invested in technology and our people as well as new ways of working.
Today, we are an international independent tire dealer and service provider. We work with customers to tailor solutions to meet their unique targets. We work to bring maintenance strategies, data-driven insights and know-how to customers. We continue to develop innovative tools, processes and solutions for every stage of the tire life—from supply and maintenance to repairs, retreading and recycling. Our Tire Operations Management System (TOMS) provides us the ability to track and share our progress with customers using real-time information.
At Kal Tire, we are focused on bringing innovation to each stage of the lifetime of a tire:
- Offering an independent source of supply to ensure customers get the right product for the application
- Gaining visibility and improving uptime with our TOMS tracking system which enables real-time information and extensive data-driven insights to support operational decision making
- Restoring the original strength and integrity of tires with large injuries with our proprietary Ultra Repair process
- Leveraging robotics to assist in the tire repair and retreading process
- Building a tire recycling facility for large and ultra large tires using thermal conversion technology to enable a circular economy and enabling compliance to end-of-life tire legislation
- Developing our new Maple Program and verified carbon calculator to give customers a way to prove and gain recognition for the fuel and carbon emissions saved by retreading
- Continuing to invest in equipment, people and facilities as the world’s largest OTR retread manufacturers with six world-class retread facilities in Canada, Mexico, Ghana, Chile and the UK
- Collaborating with partners and universities through our Innovation Centre in British Columbia, western Canada where we develop proprietary, award-winning tools that make our work safer and more efficient
While our pursuit of solutions requires continuous investment in resources, we also invest in our people:
It is their expertise, skill and passion that make all the difference for our customers.
To ensure consistency and safety on every site, we train and certify technicians to our international standard, The Kal Tire Way. Working safely for everyone’s benefit is a core value and a key part of Kal Tire’s culture.
We also strive to make an impact in the communities we serve. Around the world, you’ll find our teams doing their part to create positive change for families, schools and community groups.
You can find more than 2,700 team members supporting mine sites around the world with every kind of commodity—from oil and coal to diamonds and all types of metal—and at every extreme, from 14,000-feet high shifts in the Andes to the -30 C oil sands of Alberta, and the scorching rainforests of Ghana, West Africa, to the remote red earth of Pilbara, Australia. At every mine, in every team member, you’ll find Tom Foord’s pioneering spirit and sense of partnership.
Kal Tire looks forward to making a difference for customers and communities for many years to come.
THE KAL TIRE AIMS
As an organization driven by values, team members make decisions according to the Kal Tire AIMs, our guiding principles. The AIMS help ensure team members are doing what’s right for the team, the customer and their communities.
- Our aim is to earn the trust of our customers by providing them with a level of quality and value of both service and products that exceeds their expectations and exceeds that available from the competition.
- Our aim is that the career of every team member is supported by quality leadership, training, and opportunities for advancement. Our people will work safely and have the ambition, enthusiasm, and energy to be productive, efficient, and contribute to an upbeat atmosphere in the workplace.
- Our aim is to achieve a fair profit in all of our operations.
- Our aim is to expand our company in a deliberate and balanced fashion for the purpose of strengthening our ability to serve the customer and provide a solid future for our people. However, our rate of expansion will not be beyond our ability to finance or manage to a consistent standard of quality.
- Our aim is to conduct ourselves with honesty and integrity, being conscious of our image and with modest respect for our successes. Our image is defined by the conduct of each of us.
- Our aim is to build long-term relationships with our suppliers based on competitiveness, value and mutual respect of objectives.
- Our aim is to continually improve every aspect of our company, recognizing our responsibility to our customers, each other, our communities and the environment.
In fulfilling our Aims, every team member is personally committed to ensuring every customer, every guest and every team member returns home safely
Get in Touch
Learn more about how our unique approach as OTR tire suppliers and service providers could benefit your operations.